Friday, April 01, 2011

Darklands - Relive the glory days

Ebhard_sm

Back when I was in 7th Grade we got a computer.
The first huge computer game I ever bought was called Darklands.
I used to sit in front of the computer, day after day, playing this amazing, hard, epic game. This was before games gave you a "journal" to keep track of your quests. This was back when everything was on a 5.25" floppy disc, and this was when I was first becoming computer literate.

Needless to say, Darklands was a HUGE part of my childhood. I bought an old copy on CD in 2000 off of Ebay and hadn't been able to run the game until recently, when on a whim, I bought a PC, installed DOSBOX and got the darn thing to work. The sound doesn't function, but the rest of the game is amazingly intact. Bugs, copyright protection and all.

Chris, Francesca and I are doing some Friday night art tonight - all to celebrate the amazing characters from my very favorite game of all time.
I took one for the team and did a portrait of Ebhard, the fat, old priest that uses a Flail the whole game. Anyone that had ever played it might recognize the font, maybe the bandits, but most certainly the blood stain that was left after killing some dudes.

I still remember the sound it makes when someone dies.
Those were the days!




EDIT:
Here is the one CHRIS did tonight of Gunther! Studly man!!!
darklands_gunther

And one of Gretch! from Francesca HERE!

2 comments:

adam H. said...

OMG! I fell asleep 8 seconds into that video...

Jesse said...

Nice work everyone. Now I want you all to make fan art of my favorite old video game: Solitaire!